The PENTAX Optio VS20’s extra-powerful 20X optical zoom can capture a wide variety of subjects and occasions – from travel and landscape to action and sports to close-up macro shots. Featuring a 16MP sensor, sensor-shift PENTAX Shake Reduction image stabilization, HD movie capture, 3.0-inch LCD with HVGA resolution, and the convenience of two shutter release buttons and zoom levers for vertical-position shooting ease, the versatile Optio VS20 offers an ideal blend of compact size, powerful functions and outstanding picture quality.
- Capture a wide range of subjects and scenes — from spectacular landscapes to fast-action sports events, with the extra-powerful 20X optical zoom lens, covering focal lengths from 28mm wide angle to 560mm super-telephoto (in the 35mm format), Macro focusing captures subjects as close as 1cm from the front of the lens.
- Two shutter-release buttons and zoom levers on the grip assure natural posture and comfortable hold of the camera during both horizontal and vertical shooting. The Optio VS20 automatically adjusts the on-screen display by detecting vertical alignment with its orientation sensor. Dual tripod sockets allow you to securely set the camera up on a tripod for either vertical or horizontal shooting with ease.
- 16 megapixel sensor, high-performance smc PENTAX zoom lens and advanced imaging engine combine to deliver well-defined, high-quality images with extra-fine resolution. Even when images are enlarged, you are assured of brilliant, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
- Triple Shake Reduction technology includes sensor-shift PENTAX Shake Reduction image stabilization, High-Sensitivity shake reduction mode (Digital SR) via high ISO, and Movie SR, for sharp images, even in the most challenging lighting conditions.
- The PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode automatically selects one of 15 shooting modes (including Blue Sky and Sunset) and optimizes various camera settings, including sensitivity and shutter speed, to assure beautiful and sharp pictures. User-friendly scene and visual-effects modes offer an even greater range of creative options.
- Capture beautiful, high-definition-TV-quality movie clips (1280 x 720 pixels). A dedicated movie recording button allows you to instantly start recording movie clips from any shooting mode.
- Large 3.0 inch, 460,000 dot LCD with AG (Anti-Glare) coating makes it easy to frame a subject for video or still image capture.
- Digital level and 48-segment grid display functions for easy confirmation of horizontal and vertical alignment
- Wireless remote-control shooting possible using an optional PENTAX infrared remote control.
- Image viewing, editing and filing software included: MediaImpression 3.1 for PENTAX (Windows version compatible with Windows 7) and MediaImpression 2.1 for PENTAX (Macintosh version compatible with Mac OS X 10.7)
Optio VS20 Features
Optio VS20 Specifications
|Type||1/2.33 inch interline transfer CCD with primary colour filter|
|Effective Pixels||16 megapixels|
|Total Pixels||16.56 megapixels|
|Recording Resolutions||Still: 16M (4608x3456), 12M (1:1, 3456x3456), 12M (16:9, 4608x2592), 7M (3072x2304), 2M (16:9, 1920x1080), VGA (640x480)
Movie: HD (1280x720p30/15), VGA (640x480p30/15),
|Type/Construction||smc PENTAX zoom lens, 11 elements in 8 groups (1 aspheric element)|
|Focal length (equiv.)||5-100mm (28-560mm)|
|Intelligent Zoom||Approx 30X at 7M to 144X at VGA|
|Type||3.0-inch TFT colour LCD
Resolution: HVGA (460,000 dots)
Wide Angle Viewable: Yes
|Type||Built-in series control auto flash|
|Modes||Auto, Flash Off, Flash On, Auto + Redeye, On + Redeye
|Effective range||5.1m (wide, auto ISO), 3.3m (tele, auto ISO)|
|Type||TTL contrast detection autofocus|
|Focus modes||3 point AF, Spot AF, Auto Tracking AF, Macro, Super Macro, Infinity Landscape, Manual Focus|
|Focus lock||Yes, by pressing the shutter release button half way|
|Focus Range||Normal: 0.4m to infinity (wide), 1.6m to infinity (tele)
Macro: 0.1-0.5m (wide)
Super Macro: Approx 0.01-0.2m (middle zoom position)
|Type||TTL Multi-segment Metering
|Exposure Compensation||±2EV(1/3EV steps)|
|Auto||100-1600 (auto range adjustable), Digital SR 100-6400
|Modes||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light, Manual setting
|Still||Sensor-Shift SR, Digital SR (ISO 3200-6400 5M)
|Type||Programmed AE electronic lens shutter with electronic sensor shutter
|Shutter speed||1/2500 to 1/4 sec (up to 4 sec in Night Scene mode)
|Mode selection||One Shot, Self Timer, Continuous, Burst 5M (H/L), Multi-Burst (5M, 16 VGA frames), Remote Control, Auto Bracketing
|Continuous FPS||Approx. 1 FPS for 6 frames
|Self-timer||Yes (10 sec, 2 sec)
|Remote control||Infrared (using optional PENTAX remote Controller)
|Mode selection||Auto Picture (Standard, Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene Portrait, Night Scene, Sport, Flower, Candlelight, Blue Sky, Sunset, Text, Group Photo, Pet, Portrait x Blue Sky, Portrait x Sunset, Portrait x Backlight), Program, Natural Skin Tone, Handheld Night Snap (5M), Night Scene Portrait, Night Scene, Digital Panorama (2M per frame), Landscape, Blue Sky, Sunset, Flower, Digital SR (ISO 3200-6400 5M), Kids, Pet, Portrait, Food, Fireworks, Surf & Snow, Sport, Fisheye, Sketch, Miniature Filter, Text, Frame Composite (3M), Movie, Green
|Face detection||Yes (up to 10 faces), Smile Capture, Blink Detection, Face Recall
|Date stamp||Yes, date, date-time, time (not available in Green mode)
|Dynamic Range Adjustment||Yes, highlight and shadow correction
|Mode selection||One Shot, Index (4 or 9 thumb nails), Magnification(up to 10X, scrollable), Movie Playback, Histogram, Folder display, Select & Delete, Calendar
|Mode palette||Slideshow, Image Rotation, Stretch Filter, Small Face Filter, Digital Filter, Frame Composite (3M), Movie Edit, Red-eye Edit, Resize, Cropping, Image Copy, Protect, DPOF, Startup Screen
|Digital filters (playback)||B&W, Sepia, Toy Camera, Retro, Colour, Extract Colour, Starburst, Soft, Fisheye, Brightness Filter, Miniature, Natural Skin Tone, Stretch
|Movie edit||Save as still image, movie divide
|Still||JPG (EXIF 2.3), DCF 2.0, DPOF, Print Image Matching III
|Movie (compression)||AVI (Motion JPG)
|Removable memory||SD, SDHC, SDXC
|Ports||USB 2.0 hi-speed, AV out
|Video out||NTSC, PAL
|Power source||Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI122
|Recordable images||Approx 200*
|Playback time||Approx 180min**
|Movie recording time||Approx 100 min**
|AC adapter available||Yes (optional)
|* Recording capacity above shows approximate number of shots recorded during CIPA-compliant testing. Actual performance may vary depending on operating conditions.
** According to the result of PENTAX in-house testing
|Dimensions||112 x 61.5 x 38.5mm (W x H x D)
|Weight||Without battery or removable memory: 213g
Loaded and ready: 234g
|Languages||English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Thai, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese
|Computer System Requirements*|
|*For device connectivity. Bundled software requirements may vary.
Windows: Windows XP (SP3), Vista, 7, USB port
Mac: 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, USB port
Optio VS20 Accessories
AC Adapter Kit K-AC122U
Model No. 38872
Rechargeable L-ION Battery D-LI122
Model No. 38916
AV Cable I-AVC7
Model No. 39552
Remote Control F
Model No. 37377
Waterproof Remote Control O-RC1
Model No. 39892
What’s In the Box
- Optio VS20
- Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-LI122
- Battery Charger D-BC122
- USB Cable
- Strap O-ST122
- Software CD-ROM S-SW122